Hello Dollies Squares tend to show up at many family gatherings. Nana used pecans in hers because I have a bit of an allergy to walnuts – but before I came along this recipe was always made with walnuts. I know this recipe was written out quite some time ago because Nana was still melting her margarine in the pan (not the microwave) – you can simply put your margarine in the pan in the preheated oven but watch it to be sure it doesn’t burn. Alternately you can melt it on the stove top in a pot; or in the microwave.
Hello Dollies Recipe
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 can (15 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Melt a 1/4 cup of margarine in an 8″ square pan.
- Spread the following (in order) in even layers over the melted margarine: graham wafer crumbs, desiccated coconut, chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Drizzle 1 can of sweetened condensed milk over the surface of the top layer.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let the Hello Dollies Square cool in the pan and then cut into bars.
- Makes 24 squares.