This is a recipe from my Gramps’ mother. Her name (before marriage) was Florence Catharine Hickey. The fact that this Coconut Crisp Cookies Recipe made it into Nana’s recipe collection means it must have been one of Gramps’ favorites!
Mother Barnett’s Coconut Crisp Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft shortening (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut
- few chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together the soft shortening and sugars.
- In a separate bowl beat the vanilla and egg together and then add it to the sugar and shortening mix. Mix well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Roll the cookie dough into small balls, press with a fork and place on a prepared (greased) cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.