Alexandra’s Scones can be made quickly and they are the perfect compliment to a cup of tea.
Serve these delicious scones warm with butter, or at room temperature with a dab of jam (my Gramps loved having these with raspberry jam).
- 2 c flour
- ¼ c sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ c cold butter (cut and rubbed fine)
- ½ c raisins
- 2 eggs
- ½ c milk
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and raisins to one bowl. Combine and make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a second bowl. Reserve some for the topping and add the rest of the liquid ingredients all at once into the well you created in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Mix with a fork gently.
- Quick light strokes make a soft, light, sticky dough.
- Press dough into a ball and knead gently on a floured surface 10 times.
- Pat dough into ¾” circle and cut out rounds.
- Place rounds on baking sheet.
- Brush scones lightly with egg mixture.
- **Bake at 375 F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Tip: Quick light strokes make a soft, light, sticky dough.