Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
I must admit we often just used milk (or a mixture of milk and cream) to top our warm apple crisp.
It adds a little bit of flavour and even if I have ice cream in the freezer, I still often opt for the milk!
If you ever make it and do not have ice cream on hand, a little bit of milk works as a fantastic replacement.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (or shortening)
- 1/2 cup flour
- cream (or ice cream)
- Slice apples into medium sized buttered baking dish until 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon (to taste) and ½ cup water.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar and butter together until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 F) until apples are cooked.
- Serve hot or cold with milk, cream, or ice cream.
- *This can take up to 45 minutes to cook depending on the type of apples you are using*
Tip: Apples cook like potatoes. You can poke them with a fork to see if they are done! They will be soft but firm when cooked.